Luís Hipólito: Sparkling


Oh! Please (FIMFA Lx11, CAMA – Centro de Artes da Marioneta, 2011)

My relationship with objects is old and visceral. Since I remember, I’ve been attributing them a body and a soul, inherent to the experiences they attached to their skin, to the memories they transmit us by contagion and to an immense communicative potential. I’ve always talked with them and they’ve always talked to me! Together we’ve shared amazing stories. We are “old buddies”. Maybe because they show me there is no impossible. Maybe because they are generous! The affection for objects, and for the pleasure of animating them, has always cohabited in me an unusual interest towards kitsch imaginary. A certain tendency for an aesthetic related to sentimental objects, “bits and bobs” and to the wonderful world of paraphernalia and pinchbecks.
Maybe, because this world takes me further apart from the norm – this one a bit beige-, and elevates me to more stimulant levels of colour, more consistent with my own DNA. I like everything that is irreverent; I like freedom, diversity, plasticity and colour, all ingredients that are reachable when we are working with objects and puppets. I like to believe, that when we allow ourselves to combine this binomial to, a less normative aesthetics, to a little bit more of “swing, more of “Yé-Yé”, we elevate in a particular way, the potential that they can lend us to set free every creative and artistic projects, that we have always been secretly dreaming of. This is a process with neither limits nor body, voice, movement and narrative barriers. We all know that contemporary puppet theatre combines and crosses different artistic practices and this is actually one of the characteristic that attracts me the most in this artistic form. Yet, my emotional experience deepened under my skin, has only emerged when I met the company Tarumba. From this moment, and for the last 5 years of continuous partnership, a whole new and vast field of personal and professional possibilities, of manipulating and animating puppets and the objects of my own imaginary has then opened to me. From that day on, I left the attic…me, and my objects, my imaginary friends and some of the stories that I had been until then just rehearsing by heart to an invisible audience. This may not have been a giant step to mankind but, it was and still is, a giant and fascinating adventure, and above all, an immense pleasure that I share and celebrate in a very special way this year, with Rute Ribeiro and Luís Vieira, and all of Tarumba’s friends and lovers, with the friends of theatre, of puppets and animated forms. It is said that couples who’ve been together for 15 years celebrate their crystal wedding anniversary. Considering their, sparkle, transparency, nobleness and resonance, one could not find a better expression to describe the company’s current commemoration. Cheers! Congratulations!


BIO
Luís Hipólito (PT): Journalist and actor. 
He played in FIMFA with Mironescópio: A Máquina do Amor (CAMa – Centro de Artes da Marioneta, 2010, Galeria Boavista, 2012, Teatro Taborda, 2014), Oh! Please (CAMA – Centro de Artes da Marioneta, 2011), Rio, rio, rio... (CAMa – Centro de Artes da Marioneta, 2012, São Luiz Teatro Municipal, 2014), Quid pro quo and Cabaret de Insectos: Dracularium Freak (São Luiz Teatro Municipal, 2015).